Summer seems to fly by faster and faster every year! We don’t go back to school until after Labor Day weekend, but I’m already in prep mode: making lists and planning out breakfasts, lunches, and after school snacks for next month.
The older the kids get, the more they consume! It’s crazy just how much they have been eating lately! I’ve been trying to keep lots of healthy snacks on hand that are quick and easy to eat, and sometimes I like to fix them up a little bit more to make healthy eating more fun!
I shop at Fred Meyer a lot, and a couple of months ago our local Fred Meyer underwent a complete removal which was pretty hectic at the time, but their natural and organic aisles are much more accessible and has a lot of the products that I like to buy for my family, like Horizon Organics, Yulu, Silk, and Simple Truth.
Life is all about balance, so we try to have nutritious snacks most of the time – and here are some of our favorites:
1. Peanut butter and raspberry preserve sandwiches. Protein, fiber, and a little treat wrapped up into one tasty after school snack! My kids also like using almond butter. To make them even more fun you can cut them into shapes – like flowers. Take two styles of bread and use cookie cutters to cut them into flower shapes, then alternate pieces to create two-toned sandwich bites!
2. Fresh Fruit is always around our house, but sometimes I will drizzle some honey on top of some Granny Smith apples for a sweet snack.
3. My kids LOVE consuming carbohydrates – probably a little bit too much, but Horizon Organics makes these mini cheddar sandwich crackers that I like to serve up in a bowl with some diced mozzarella cheese sticks for a snack that my kids can’t seem to get enough of – and it’s rich in calcium.
4. Every kid loves carrots and ranch, but what about carrots and hummus? I like to serve up individual bowls for them with some roasted red pepper hummus and bite sized carrot slices.
5. Lastly, I like to sprinkle some granola into some Yulu yogurt. If you haven’t heard of it before you are missing out because it’s amazing! It’s inspired by an Australian recipe, and it’s really smooth and delicious, plus it has no artificial flavors or colors and has 9 grams of protein!
Are you prepared for the kids to head back to school? What other after school snacks do you make for them?
If you need some more inspiration check out Kroger’s Inspired Gathering for recipes, DIY + Décor, Tips + Tricks, and cleaning hacks, and click here to print a coupon off of your next purchase!
This conversation is sponsored by WhiteWave Foods. The opinions and text are all mine.