Melissa Kaylene: Living Locally: Wicked at The Keller Auditorium
Image Map

Friday, August 7, 2015

Living Locally: Wicked at The Keller Auditorium


Last night I had a girl’s night out with one of my friends and we drove up to the Keller Auditorium and saw Wicked for the first time. Over the years I’ve heard the name “Wicked” here and there, and friends have told me before that “you just HAVE to see it”.  Not knowing the exact story-line I knew that it had something to do with the witches from the Wizard of Oz, but I didn’t know just how in depth the story was.




If you aren’t familiar with the story or musical, the main characters are Elphaba (The Wicked Witch ) and Glinda (The Good Witch) and their story of how the two came to be, as well as the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion. The story has several twists and turns and really did a fabulous job highlighting the complexity between the relationship of the two women, and their unlikely friendship. The characters were performed exceptionally well, with absolutely amazing vocals and a beautiful live orchestra. Wicked, though having a deep story-line - also had moments that had left the audience laughing and cheering the characters on.

Photo by Joan Marcus
I’ve had the opportunity to see several Broadway performances this year and have enjoyed every single one of them, but after last night I think I may just have a favorite.


If you’ve never been to a Broadway performance before and have been thinking about seeing one – see Wicked. With catchy music, amazing sets that will wow your eyes, and a story that will capture your attention with characters you *thought* you knew, It made for the perfect girls night out, but would also be a fun date night or mother daughter date.


If you live in the Portland area, Wicked will be playing at the Keller Auditorium now through August 23rd, and you can purchase tickets through Broadway in Portland. 

Have you seen Wicked before? What is your favorite Broadway show?



~Melissa
I received two complimentary tickets in exchange for this review. No other form of compensation was received; as always all opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment