Melissa Kaylene: Princess Polk-a-dot Birthday Banner
Image Map

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Princess Polk-a-dot Birthday Banner



Remember my little project I mentioned a few days ago? Well I am finally showing you ;). So my daughter is turning 9 this weekend and we are having a backyard BBQ then girls sleepover/campout for her. She told me she wanted a polk-a-dot theme this year, so I went to JoAnn fabrics for some inspiration...and found this. The pictures really don't do it justice because it has little silver glitter sparkles all over the fabric. It was perfect! So I bought a couple yards of it, along with about 6 yards of pink fabric that was on sale. All in all with the sales they had going on, I bought a lot of fabric for $22. Really, with a little time and effort, you can't beat re-useable decorations for that price....my daughters just might be seeing a lot of polk-a-dots for a while! ;)


So I set out cutting 8"x8" squares of the fabric, then cut a strip the entire length of the pink fabric 2" wide. It was a nice hot day outside so I pulled up a seat on our back deck next to our 'craft' table and got to work.



I folded the squares in half and ironed them. Then I cut them in half so I had triangles. I then took half of the triangles and did the same thing, so I ended up with some larger triangles, and some smaller ones.

 Now here's the funny part... ( I know I didn't tell you this was going to be funny, did I?)


So, I have an old sewing machine that was given to me by my Mom, but it is missing a piece and I need to take it in. So I was super upset that I couldn't finish my project....until I remembered that I bought my daughter a cheap-o Hello Kitty sewing machine last Christmas, and it had just been sitting there in her closet! So yes, it was a total pain, but I managed to sew the banner with a battery operated machine for little girls!


 So I sewed the hems of the pink fabic strip, but didn't bother with the triangles. I'm not a perfectionist and am pretty sure a little ADD, because I just can't do a project that takes me longer than a day....it turned out fine though for what we are using it for!




I've also made a couple tablecloths for her party, and am also working on a Bean Bag toss board.... I will be sure to post pics of those soon, and of course pictures from her slumber party!

P.S. My dear friend has since loaned me her sewing machine just in case ;)

22 comments:

  1. Newest follower via the blog hop! I went to Willamette University in Salem :) A wonderful part of the country! Great blog and tutorial for a cute banner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL OH, Melissa, you constantly amaze me....I don't know how you do it all! I hope the party goes super, and I look forward to the photos! (Maybe a little "card" inspiration?) :-) Happy Birthday, Anika! You have a SUPER mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a new follower from bog working wednesday I would love a follow back at http://lefthandedideas.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this birthday banner. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry this is late, but better late then never. Thanks so much for sharing with last weeks with Wednesday's Adorned From Above. The link party is open now for this week.
      Debi Bolocofsky
      www.adornedfromabove.com

      Delete
  5. It turned out so cute, but I had to giggle at the Hello Kitty sewing machine! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Adorned from Above. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-9.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. pretty adorable that you did this bunting on a kid's sewing machine! awesome!
    new to your blog and follow thru GFC.
    i hope you have time to come check out mine and follow sometime.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wanted to stop by and say thank you for linking up for blogworking wed! I hope you met some great new bloggers!

    the banner you made is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute banner.
    througbetsyslookingglass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blogs name
    Love that you used the hello Kitty machine.
    happy birthday to your sweet Dd.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, I absolutely want that Hello Kitty sewing machine! I found you via the hop and I'm now following. When you can, I'd love a visit at my little place: http://www.thedivvyspot.com. Thanks and have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute little banner! I love the colors and pattern. And I'm loving the sewing machine! Too cute! :) I would also love if you shared this at my Throwback Thursday party. I hope to see you there! Thanks for sharing :) http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-5/

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a awesome idea! We would love to invite you to join us on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! I know my readers would love your awesome ideas! Have a great weekend!
    Mackenzie :)
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-23/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I am visiting from the Like Me on Facebook hop & I could resist coming over since my daughter's birthday party is NEXT weekend. She is having a tea party theme. I think I will borrow your idea using some tea cup/tea pot fabric instead of polka dots. Cute? CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I'm visiting from Monday Mom's Mingle! I love this banner, how cute. I think I might need to Pin It!

    Chantal @ www.scatteredseashells.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. ll the best!Monicamade a few of these banners! They are so cute. Love the hello kitty machine by the way! Now following you via the blog hop and would love a follow back..all the best!Monica

    ReplyDelete
  16. very crafty missy!

    Have a great week ahead! Stop by nichollvincent.blogspot.com and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool idea,
    new follower from GFC. Have a fun party!
    Candice
    www.lillythroughthevalley.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is adorable, I love the colors. Great save too with the Hello Kitty machine :)

    Thanks so much for linking this up to our Weekend Wonders party. We hope to see you again on Thursday. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great, I love how you sewed it on the Hello Kitty sewing machine. Cute blog, checkout mine if you get a chance and follow if you like!

    Jennifer

    http://apopofstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete